Need a fun way to engage your students in solving quadratic equations by factorising? Then this is the product for you. It's great game for 2-6 players, or use the cards as an individual activity as a form of flash cards.
This game contains 4 letters (suits/colours); x (red), y (yellow), a (green) and b (blue). They range in difficulty, so you can easily differentiate the cards with your class. The solutions to each quadratic equation range between 1 and 13. and players can choose the solution to their quadratic equation to make it fit the gameplay. If you know how to play a traditional game of Straight/Standard/Traditional Rummy, the Rules are similar, and feel free to adjust them to suit your needs. This game also comes with a Working Out Sheet for each player to keep track of their cards and solutions, and an Answer Sheet of all card numbers.
Rules of Play
- Ensure that every player has a copy of the Working Out Sheet.
- Shuffle the deck, mixing up all the cards, and deal out 7 cards per player.
- Place the rest of the deck cards face-down in the centre.
- Players should work out the two possible values of all of their cards now using the Working Out Sheet. - Play begins left of the dealer.
- First, turn over the top card on the deck in the middle to create a visible discard pile.
- Compulsory Draw. Player must pick a card from the discard or deck pile.
- Optional Meld. The player can choose to play (or meld) a sequence in the middle.
- A minimum of three cards are needed to make a sequence.
- Acceptable sequences are as follows:
- The same answer in different letters (suits/colours), e.g. x=3, y=3, a=3.
- Ascending sequences of answers in the same letter (suit/colour), e.g. a=3, a=4, a=5.
- If a player can make a ‘meld’, they don’t have to yet, they can choose to keep it to themselves. - Remember that quadratic equations have two solutions, players must choose and prove them. - Optional Lay-Off. The player can add cards to existing melds on the table.
- Acceptable Lay-Offs are as follows:
- If x=3, y=3, and a=3 are on the table. A player can add b=3.
- If a=5, a=6 and a=7 are on the table. A player can add a=4 and/or a=8.
- Lay-Offs must continue/complete an existing sequence/meld, and cannot cross.
- e.g. If x=3, y=3, a=3 and b=3 are melded, new melds cannot be built outward from them.
- Compulsory Discard. A player MUST discard one card into the discard pile in the middle.
- Play continues clockwise.
- As players pick up new cards from the discard or deck piles, they can add answers to their sheets. - Players can also use the Working Out Sheet to track cards that are melded on the table.
- The winner is the first person to meld/play ALL of their cards in the middle.
This game is also including in our 4th card game bundle at a discount.